Friday, March 04, 2005

Tribe v. Ponnuru: Encore 2

Reacting to my efforts to defend Larry Tribe against charges that Tribe fabricated much of a recent legal journal essay about his first Supreme Court argument, Ramesh Ponnuru of the National Review has recently taken to calling me "slippery and dishonest " -- and rock-dumb" to boot!

According to Ponnuru, my analysis exhibits such "incompetence" it's not worth his time to do more than skim it, at least until I
collaborate "with someone smarter". Ponnuru declined to write up a detailed rebuttal to my analysis, or even bother to read the whole thing with care, even after I "went nuclear" on him, by buying up all sorts of web-sites with his name to spread my analysis far and wide into eternity, so there'd be "consquences" for his "reputation" and "credibility" if he didn't issue a rebuttal. Ponnuru just doesn't think my analysis is worth his time, or that of his readers. But Ponnuru couldn't help mentioning his amusement that my thesis was that his original article on Tribe was "profoundly silly," yet it took me 17 single-spaced pages to explain why!

(If you're as confused as I am trying to keep track of my dialogue with Ponnuru, for an outline, check out The Volokh Conspiracy,
here, here, and here.)

This blog addresses Ponnuru's charges (and similar charges by others who've posted on various blogs, or might post in the future) that I am slippery, dishonest, and rock-dumb.

Because these are my own personal views, I decided not to post these thoughts on my regular blog,
www.scotusblog.com. As I recently said on another blog I run, the one devoted to the substance of Ponnuru's article about Tribe, "hyperbolic statements," in particular, "personal attacks on Ponnuru, Tribe, or me," including those "calling me a liar," don't belong on www.scotusblog.com. That subject matter belongs elsewhere. Hence, this blog.